Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Huge day today

Today is such a big day. Right now, the plan is to get Drew off of ECMO completely sometime this afternoon. His carbon dioxide levels were a bit high as of his last blood gas so they increased the respiration amount on his vent in the hopes that will bring it down. We're just waiting to here when they think they will do it. They had already given the paralyzing meds when we saw him this morning in anticipation of the procedure.

It is a surgical procedure; they will be taking out the two large tubes in his neck and the cannulas out of his heart. They will then insert a central line into the existing incision. They turned off all ECMO oxygen last night and he did well through the night on his own (with the vent).

It's so terrifying to face taking him off of life support, if that makes sense. The nurses say that they CAN put him back on ECMO if need be but that they've never done it. I got the impression that this is it--either he does it on his own or he doesn't. I don't know that for a fact though and I was scared to ask for fear of the answer I'd get.

As of yesterday, Drew's surgeon had decided to hold off on surgery until early next week. Nothing is ever set in stone when dealing with a sick little one. He's got a ton of obstacles still to overcome but the surgeon said (pretty direct quote), "Things could not look better at this point." That was yesterday around 5:00 p.m.

Add to my fear about Drew's procedure today the fact that I feel horrible. I think that E. passed on her stomach thing to me. At least she feels better. But R. hasn't been feeling well either.


Christina (tina103) said...

I am sorry it dodn't go as well as hoped. I will continue to keep him in my prayers.