CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

New doctor

I saw my new OB for the first time yesterday. If you'll remember, my OB is leaving OU at the beginning of April so my care has been transferred and I've been very anxious about it. My worries were for nothing--I REALLY like my new doctor. She's very young, probably our age or younger. (All of my doctors have always been at least 15 years older than me.)

She had gone over my chart with my old OB so I didn't have to go into the entire story of Drew. That was a relief to me. It's so difficult to have to explain things over and over. She was prepared and recognized me as a "special" patient. :)

My BP was still great, 100/70, and I'd gained a pound. That surprised me since I was puking all day Saturday. I've had a (self-diagnosed) sinus infection and the drainage was killing me. I carried a bucket around the house with me all weekend. R. and his dad took care of E., which she loved! She's such a little tomboy. I've gained 22 pounds so far this PG but would like to gain some more.

My main concern at this point is a small baby. Elizabeth was small (less than 6 lbs.) and I don't want another peanut. Looks like I might have one though. :( The doctor said that Carson feels small but my uterus is growing right on track (34 cm. at 34 weeks) and unless that changes, there's no real need for concern. Maybe Drew was a freak--I just have little babies. Hey, that should help with my dream of a VBAC anyway! Carson's heartrate was 129. All in all, everything's ok. I go back in 2 weeks then every week until he arrives. No inductions unless absolutely necessary.

Many have questioned my desire for a VBAC. I could have a scheduled c-section and deliver at the hospital that I want to however, that's just not what I want. I want 1 birth to go along as much as possible with what *I* want. I've had both kinds of birth--vaginal and cesearian (sp?) and I'll tell you which one was easier on my body: the vaginal. The only intervention that I had with E. was an epidural but there were some little things that I would do differently knowing what I know now. Drew's birth was so traumatic for me that I want a good one. What's wrong with that? I am fully aware of the less than 1% chance of uterine rupture and an increased risk of repeat c-section after laboring. OU's VBAC rates are in excess of 80% which is darn good.

In a perfect world, I would be at a birthing center without so many medical interventions but I am aware that is not feasible or possible for me. I'm willing to have an IV and an epidural (just in case of a need for a section) to have other things go my way. *I* want control over my body and birth experience, within reason, and I'm going to have it this time. Period. It's fine if another person would choose another route. So far, this PG has been low risk even though I'm considered high risk due to Drew's condition. Major surgery and recovery vs. a natural process. Hmmmm, I'll go natural, thank you very much.

Anyway, that's my reasoning. The most important being the fact that I had no say in ANYTHING at all with Drew's birth. They wouldn't even talk in front of me after he was born and I was on the table. They took R. into the hall. That's not going to happen again. (For the record, R. was being pulled a million different directions at once and he did a GREAT job--truly he did, ask anyone who was at the hospital on March 8, 2006--but I tend to like some kind of control.)

I have more to write but I don't want to right now. I'll try and get around to it tonight. Suffice it to say that it has to do with Drew and his upcoming birthday. This has not been a good week for me. And yes, I'm just talking about me here and being selfish. I worry about others all day in real life and this is where I can worry about only me.

1 comments:

The Goddess G said...

Jana,
That is awesome that their VBAC rate is so high. Glad too that the visit with the new doc went so well.

I am thinking of you.

~Carole