CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

My BIG boy

Carson had his 4 (ok, 4.5) month check-up today. As my friend Melissa said, that doctor that had issues with his weight gain after birth can now just SHOVE IT. (I'm sure you all remember that ordeal--saying she was going to force me to formula feed him because his first 3 weeks of life his weight remained steady, no real gain, no real loss.)

Anyway.....

I've taken to calling him Big C and it seems like with good reason. He is 15 lbs. 12 oz. which is the 70th percentile. He is 25 1/2 inches long--75th percentile--and his head circumference is 42.6--80th percentile. He obviously had a quite large growth spurt. Everything looks good and he's ahead of the "typical baby schedule" as far as his motor skills.

With E. when she had her shots, the first time killed me. I cried along with her that time and then I was ok. I never liked it but I didn't break down. It's different with Carson for some reason. I've cried every time he's been poked. I think it's a combination of his sweet temperament (he will just be smiling and cooing and then BAM! Shot and pain screams.) and knowing that he's just having to experience a fraction of what Drew endured.

I try so hard not to dwell on what Drew went through but it's so hard. And then to know he endured it because of his parents decisions (i.e. me and Raymond) really hurts. In my heart I know that we did the correct things but my head has a hard time believing it. It's always hanging over my head; those doubts never diminish. Nothing I can do about it now though, is there?

Carson is having a reaction to the shots and is running a fairly high temperature (101.3). If this were Elizabeth, she'd have been crying non-stop. Carson is STILL smiling but you can tell he doesn't feel well.

Looks like his umbilical hernia is improving dramatically, too. Odds are 98% that he won't ever have to have it surgically corrected. Yay! He still has reflux issues but they seem to me to be improving as he's getting older. He only spits up about every 3rd feeding now. I took him off of the meds for it because I couldn't tell that they were doing any good and I don't like my kids to be on medication if it's not necessary.

All in all, a good report. We go back at 6 months. E. goes in next week for her check-up. I'm trying to prepare her for the 2 shots, finger prick, vision and hearing tests. She has informed me, "Nope. I don't think we'll go this time. I don't want shots so no thank you." How can you argue with that? Unfortunately for her, I'm Mommy and I can out argue her. :D

And I just want to compliment Suave, or the company that makes it. Why? Because they have a commercial out that shows a woman nursing her child. Any positive media depiction of nursing catches my attention. I know the commercial has been out there a while but it was just on, hehe! Nursing has made my baby boy BIG--he's only ever had "Mommy milk" (as it's called around here). Heck, he's never even had a bottle; mainly because the pump holds bad memories for me but I don't mind. I like the closeness when I feed him. But I won't get fully on my soapbox about nursing tonight...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY Big C!!!!! I have a little T who has just hit 13lbs at 7wks, and just like Carson has NEVER had formula or even a bottle in his mouth. YAY Mommy milk :) :)

The Goddess G said...

Jana,
Thanks so much for the update. Carson is growing like a weed!!! I haven't seen the Suave commercial yet...I'll have to keep a look out for it.
~Carole